Our values are: Kindness, Respect, Honesty, Environmental Accountability and Empowerment of all People.
Our commitment to gender equality
We believe in empowering women throughout our entire business, and we’re proud to say so. Kuwaii is still independently owned and run by designer/entrepreneur Kristy Barber, who started the brand in 2008. Women currently hold all management roles in our business.
Our Gender Policy includes the following points:
- Our leaders champion diversity and visibly drive initiatives to mentor and encourage the women on our team.
- We actively source and work with women-run, women-owned and women-led organisations.
- Visible female role models exist, and aspirations for increasing diversity are shared.
- Our leaders create an environment that’s inclusive, supportive and open.
- We seek to collaborate with and champion women artists and designers.
- Our leaders seek out, value, and recognise team members’ contributions.
- Kuwaii provides a sense of collective identity and shared goals within the team.
- We recognise that women require flexible working arrangements, especially after maternity leave, and continually work to provide flexibility to our team.
- We strive to make our workplace an open and warm place to work and a place that always empowers the people on our team.
- We actively choose diverse models for our photoshoots every season.
Our commitment to the environment
Minimising production waste
Every Kuwaii garment is designed and considered carefully before the cutting process begins to ensure that our production wastage is kept to the most minimal amount we can. Any scraps leftover are then recycled as part of our Textile Recycling Program.
Minimising single-use plastic
We aim to phase out as much single-use plastic as possible from our processes — cable ties, tape, garment bags and post satchels. We have a Big-4 plastics ban in our business and a plastic-free policy that bans the use of straws, coffee cups, plastic bags and plastic water bottles & discourages the use of plastic cutlery and takeaway containers. Our hangers are sent back from our stores > office > manufacturers, so we need a finite amount, and none of them hit landfill. Wire hangers are returned to our dry cleaners so they can be reused.
Our stores are run with 100% renewable, carbon-neutral electricity, and we are in the process of converting our Head office to solar. We also have switched to ‘GreenPower,’ meaning that we contribute to Australia’s renewable energy development by paying extra on our electricity bills.
We support companies committed to making a difference and whose practices align with our environmental policies. We look for local businesses that are vegan, committed to using natural alternatives to chemical ingredients, that donate parts of their proceeds to charity, and who, like us, try to minimise their environmental impact.