- Kuwaii clothing has earned ethical accreditation from Ethical Clothing Australia (ECA).
- We have four clothing makers, all based in Melbourne. 100% of Kuwaii clothing pieces are made in Melbourne, within 15km of Brunswick
- We have two footwear makers - one is based in Abbotsford and the other is in China. 80% of Kuwaii footwear is made in Melbourne, 20% is made in China.
- We purchase our fabrics from 12 Australian & NZ fabric agents, with most of our fabric produced in China, Korea and Japan.
- We incorporate deadstock fabric and our own fabric remnants into our garments.
- We produce an average of 8000 garments per year and 600 pairs of footwear, in contrast to Zara, which produces around 450 million items a year.
Kuwaii’s ethically accredited slow fashion approach contrasts with fast fashion’s environmental and ethical havoc. It ensures we build robust, respectful and loyal relationships with our makers. Our entire product range is built on an ever-evolving basis of ‘Classics’: timeless, well-made, eternally flattering and wearable pieces. We minimise waste during production and excess stock at the end of each season by producing small runs in limited editions.
Our accrediting body Ethical Clothing Australia is committed to collaborating with local clothing businesses, ensuring the protection and promotion of the rights of Australian garment workers. To secure ECA accreditation, we underwent a thorough audit of our operations, spanning from design to dispatch. This comprehensive review ensures that all our workers, including outworkers, are fairly compensated, receive their legal entitlements, and work in safe conditions.
When you shop with us, you can be assured that 100% of our clothing pieces are locally made in Melbourne and hold the prestigious ECA ethical accreditation.